The Difference Between Roof Tiling and Slates
It’s essential that your roof is durable, strong and fully protected from the elements and general wear and tear. But eventually, the time will come for your roof to be either repaired or replaced, so it’s important that the right material is used to ensure your roof structure remains sturdy.
If you’re looking into the possibility of different materials, it’s important that you understand the differences between roof tiling and slate before committing to a material that isn’t suitable for your home or requirements. In this article, we’ll be explaining the advantages of both tile and slate roofing materials to ensure you make the right decision.
The advantages of roof slates
There are three different varieties of roof slates:
Natural – made from fine-grained metamorphic rock
Artificial – including fibre cement slate or concrete tiles made to look like slate
Zinc – harmonises well with conventional construction/roofing materials
Advantages of natural roof slates
The material that natural roof slates are made from can be split into exceptionally thin layers, making natural slates the most resistant type out of the three options. They can also offer an authentic, traditional aesthetic to your house, particularly if your home is visibly older as opposed to having a more modern exterior.
Other advantages to natural slates:
- Highly durable
- Effective fire protection
- Resistant to rotting
- Will not succumb to insect damage
- Incredibly low maintenance
- Available in various shades of grey
- Different textures and patterns are available to choose from
Advantages of artificial roof slates
Advances in technology allow us to choose from a variety of different roofing solutions, including artificial slates. Just like natural slate, there are many advantages to choosing artificial slate, whether you opt for the fibre cement slate or concrete tiles manufactured to imitate that of authentic slate.
- Cost-effective option
- Incredibly durable
- Proven longevity
- Perfect for installation on lower pitched roofs
- They’re made to be lighter than natural slate
- Aesthetically pleasing option
Advantages of zinc roof slates
Ideal for installation on commercial premises, metal roofing solutions are proving to be a popular choice for companies looking for a strong, durable roof. Zinc roof slates are both functional and stylish, particularly for those looking to have a less industrial exterior.
Advantages of zinc roof slates include:
- Can recover over time if scratched
- Low maintenance
- Can be exposed to the elements for long periods of time without wearing
- Aesthetically pleasing in comparison to other metal roofing options
- Can be manipulated into a desired shape
- Ideal for flashing around chimneys, skylights and dormer windows
- Eco-friendly – takes less energy to produce zinc roof slates than other alternatives
The advantages of roof tiles
Roof tiles can be made from either concrete or clay and are available in a variety of different colours and designs to suit your property. Both materials have their own advantages, meaning one material would be more suitable for you than the other.
Advantages of concrete roof tiles
Popular for their versatility, durability and functionality, concrete roof tiles can be an ideal roofing option for many.
Advantages of concrete roof tiles include:
- Relatively low-maintenance
- Exceptionally durable
- Incredibly long-lasting
- Fire resistant
- Eco-friendly – made from natural materials and requires little energy to produce
Advantages of clay roof tiles
One of the most popular roofing materials with British homeowners is clay tiles. Seen as a relatively stylish option, clay roof tiles can enhance the look of your property whilst also providing a high level of functionality. Other advantages include:
- Easily customisable
- Incredibly durable
- Fire and weather resistant
- Eco-friendly – made from natural material, requires little energy to produce and can be recycled accordingly
- Low-maintenance for ultimate convenience
Roofing services at Roofer UK
Here at Roofer UK, we’re proud to offer first-class, high-quality slating and tiling services to ensure your roof remains intact for many years to come. Whether you’re looking to retain the traditional look of your home or create a more modern aesthetic, we’ll have a solution for you.
With over 20 years of experience in the industry, we take pride in delivering flawless results alongside exceptional customer service every single time. In addition, and for your peace of mind, all of the work we carry out is fully guaranteed, so you can rest assured that we’ll always be there when you need us, even after the work has been completed.